These past few weeks have been quite a whirlwind! Last week was the final in Lilla’s MATS course (I plan to do a separate MATS debrief post for the entire experience later!) which focused on party paper. Now.. What is that, you may ask? Party paper is a category within the Gift Market entirely devoted to paper goods – paper plates, paper napkins, gift wrap, invitations, and so on.
Our assignment was to reference the theme of Ukrainian and Bavarian folk art and create our own party paper designs. I worked on created stylized artwork that still read as my aesthetic but pulled elements from what makes folk art unique– the subject matter, layout, selective colors – and interpreted it in my own way.
I ended up having a blast doing these pieces. I think the rooster looks hilarious, he’s kind of got a cheeky look to him (and a bit of a booty! hah). Each piece has unique artwork – no icons are repeated between the plate, napkin, and cup. I also tried a different way to add texture to my illustrations this week and really enjoyed the end result. Florals are an artwork type that I have not explored much, but this project definitely has increased my interest in working with them. I’d like to try out some surface patterns next!
Alas, this week has been a bittersweet one in Lilla’s lovely classroom! Class ends very soon and our final project was due today. One thing that never ceases to amaze me is the support and camaraderie in the classroom, going strong even now when everyone has the relief of the assignment off their shoulders! It has be an insane and wonderful five weeks, being pushed outside my comfort zone and nurtured by such an amazing mentor. I can’t even believe how much I have grown and evolved as an artist in such a short amount of time, and how much courage I have in my work, a sentiment also echoed by many of my classmates!
This week was learning all about the gift market, which encompasses a pretty wide range of objects. For the mini-assignment, we had to gather collections we own and photograph them. I had a bit of a panic, first thinking I didn’t collect anything (fabric hoarding is necessary, I swear!) and then realizing that the things that I did identify as a collector of were copyrighted works that I knew wouldn’t work for the assignment (artwork, figurines, comics).
Once reviewing the main assignment, things became much clearer. We had to create a zippered pouch using photo-collage, florals, our collections, and a saturated bold color palette that would demand attention! The trend that this type of artwork is based around is called “Hyper-Lush” or “Photo Floral.” I decided to start with my collection of urban decay and abandoned building photos which I have been shooting over the past few years. I find these places extremely beautiful and textural, which was a big component of the assignment. In addition, I also used images of florals I had shot during the week and created original typography and icons to further push the idea of exploring these types of spaces. So much fun!
I think this project was the hardest for me, but I feel like I conquered it successfully in the end 🙂 I would really love to get this fabric printed and try making a few of these!